Translate

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Astonish Me - Pg 232

   "Oh, Chloe," he says, putting an arm around her shoulders. His grasp is gentle, but she can feel his strength. "You make me so sad. We are both sad tonight. Okay. Come with me anyway. We need someone to keep us company. I have a guest room. I have milk and cookies."
   She wants to be proud, to say no. At least she wants to ask why he has suddenly focused on her, but she knows if his answer is not perfect (and what would the perfect answer be?), she will have to go home to her cheap futon in her tiny bedroom partitioned from a windowless corner of her shared apartment. So instead she asks, "Why are you sad?"
   "I am sad because I am an old man, and nobody wants to sleep with me. And because I am Russian, and we are always sad late at night."

No comments:

Post a Comment